It’s been almost 18 months since I’ve seen my parents so this recipe is a nod to my sweet dad whose favorite treat is the Empire Biscuit.
A simple but fun twist on your shortbread, Empire Biscuits are a jam (jelly) sandwich made with thin cut shortbread and topped with simple icing sugar. I like to put a “cherry” on top using my favorite Cadbury’s Mini Eggs but you can use any small treat your family enjoys (or an actual cherry!)
- 1 Package of my Scottish Shortbread Ingredients
- 1 Stick premium salted butter
- 1/4 Cup of your favorite jam / jelly
- 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 5 TSP Milk
- Choice of Topper - Cadberry Mini Eggs, Cherry, etc...
- For the best result, of course I recommend using my family's secret Scottish Shortbread ingredients.
- Follow my simple instructions on the back of the package to mix your shortbread mix but instead of forming into a sausage / log shape, press your “dough” into a flat (approximately 1/4” thick).
- Cut into even numbered circles and lay on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-22 mins at 300°f until golden brown on bottom.
- Remove and let cool completely.
- Spread your favorite jam (jelly) and place a second round on top.
- Mix 1/2 cup of powdered sugar with 3-5 teaspoons of water or milk until you have a thick spreadable consistency.
- Spread your icing on top of the sandwich and finish with a candy topper off of your choosing!
- Enjoy your Empire Biscuits with the ones you love!